Friday, January 19, 2018

Gestational diabetes diagnosis.

I am literally sitting in my exam room of my OBGYN, just 20 minutes after I found out that my first and second blood-draw levels during my 3-hour glucose screening came back elevated.

Cue hormonal, ugly cry.

The dreaded drink.

I am 31 weeks pregnant with Baby #3, and had to schedule the dreaded 3-hour glucose screening test after I failed my initial screening. I passed the initial glucose screening with my first two pregnancies, but my doctor says every pregnancy is different. Plus, I'm 35 years old this time around, and have gained a lot more weight with this pregnancy.

The 3-hour test sucks.

I had to fast for 8-10 hours before the test, slam an orange drink with 100 grams of glucose (2X the amount of the glucose in the initial-screening drink), then have my blood drawn every hour (total of 4 blood draws). Plus, I couldn't eat during the test. So, here I sit, waiting for my fourth and final blood draw, even though I now know I had elevated blood levels in 3 out of 4 of my blood draws (AKA, I failed the glucose screening, and have gestational diabetes).

(Videos from our InstaStories the day before, and day of
the 3-hour glucose screening. Follow us on Instagram: @MelissaSaigh)

My glucose levels were...

1st blood-draw (before glucose drink, and after an 8-10 hour fast): 102
2nd blood-draw (1 hour after glucose drink): 230
3rd blood-draw: 188
4th blood-draw: 119

Here's where normal levels should to be...

1st blood-draw: 70-94
2nd blood-draw: 70-179
3rd blood-draw: 70-154
4th blood-draw: 70-139

While I had big plans for driving over to Bruegger's to get a bagel and cream cheese the size of my head following this test, I'm now waiting on hold to schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist. I met with my doctor in the midst of waiting for my 4th and final blood-draw, and unleashed the pregnant-lady ugly cry. While he assured me that everything will be just fine, all I can think about is how much it's going to suck to have to monitor what I eat and drink during the last couple months of my LAST pregnancy.

How depressing.

Last night, my "last supper" was a steak and a lettuce salad. One of my mom-friends told me that's what she ate before she took and passed her 3-hour glucose (she has 4 kids, and failed 3 out of 4 of her initial glucose tests, but passed the 3-hour test each time). My cousin, who is a doctor, assured me that no matter what I ate the night before, it wouldn't alter my test results (AKA, if I have GD, then I have GD).

Oh well, it was a delicious try.

Now, while I wait to meet with the endocrinologist, I need to watch my carb and sugar intake, and focus on eating more protein and vegetables. Not what I want to be doing during the last few weeks of my pregnancy. However, I only have a few more weeks. At 31 weeks and having GD, my doctor will induce me at or before 39 weeks to make sure the baby doesn't get too big. I'll most likely have an ultrasound around 37 weeks to measure the baby, and I'll be seeing my OBGYN every two weeks, unless something changes.

While I do my best to stay positive, does anyone have any delicious low-carb/low-sugar recipes, snacks, or food that they'd like to share with this VERY hungry and VERY pregnant mama???

4 comments:

  1. https://baby-care.blog/

    Apprechiate you feedback❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. So frustrating! I had the same issue and felt so stressed about checking my blood sugar for the rest of the pregnancy. My doctor was hysterical that my baby would get to big. I ended up giving birth to a girl 3 weeks early and she was 6 lbs 3 oz :) Hope you are feeling okay now!
    Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bilgileriniz için teşekkür ederim. En iyi bebekler ve bebek doktorları için bekleriz teşekkürler BEBEKLER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting information and attractive.This blog is really rocking... Yes, the post is very interesting and I really like it. you share nice article with us. thanks for sharing about Best babies products. i appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete