Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quinoa & legume dish my one-year-old will eat.

Linna eating her "cakes" with a fork.
After days of our healthy eating "rules" out the window because of travel, sick baby, etc., I started looking on Pinterest for some healthy recipes that could possibly be one-year-old friendly. I wanted Linna to eat more beans, lentils, quinoa, etc., like she used to as a baby. I found a recipe for quinoa cakes, and decided to formulate my own little recipe that I knew Linna would at least try.

All I did was soak some dry black beans, lentils, and quinoa overnight, and then boil them. I mixed about a quarter cup of that with an egg, some parmesan cheese, and herbs (rosemary, parsley and thyme), and poured this mixture on a hot non-stick pan. Then I basically cooked it like a pancake. When it's finished, it's basically an egg pancake with legumes and whole grain! I wouldn't soak/boil too many beans, lentils, and quinoa at once, because they'll just sit in your fridge and go bad. I make about a cup of the beans/quinoa mixture at a time, and we eat these little "egg cakes" about 2-3 times a week (mostly for lunch). I also wait to mix the egg and cheese with the beans/quinoa until I'm actually going to cook the "cake". It's such a yummy and easy little dish, and you can give it to the kiddos with some fruit and a veggie for a really balanced meal! Linna gobbled it up,and I liked it too, so we'll definitely eat this again.

Our yummy egg, bean, lentil, quinoa cakes. I'll have to come up
with a better name;)

No comments:

Post a Comment