Friday, February 10, 2017

DIY with mama saigh: Candy-free valentines.

Today, I was on The Jason Show with some candy-free Valentines that you can make for, and/or with your kids! Don't get me wrong, I love a little candy on basically any holiday, and Valentine's Day is no exception. But let's be honest, when your child has over a dozen kids in his or her class, all that candy can lead to sugar highs, crazy meltdowns, and tummy aches. Here are four fun ways to celebrate Valentine's Day with your child, while avoiding the candy "hangover".



1. "You're Stinkin' Cute" Poo-PlayDough Valentines




If you have a "poop obsessed" kid like our 5-year-old, they'll love these Poo PlayDough Valentines that you can make at home! Here's what you'll need...

Poo PlayDough Recipe: 2 cups flour, 1 cup water, 1 cup salt, and brown food coloring. Mix, then knead all ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container to prevent the PlayDough from drying out.

I found some bead containers at my local Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Store, and used them to store individual-sized balls of the Poo PlayDough. I used a Sharpie to write "You're Stinkin' Cute" on Valentine labels, and stuck a felt heart on top of the individual containers. Our kindergartner will pass these out to her classmates on Valentine's Day at school. This is a super easy and fun (and a little silly!) DIY project that the whole family can help with!

2. Love Robots



I picked up everything I needed for this project at Target. I used small boxes of raisins for the feet, a juice box for the body, and a fruit cup for the robot's head. I secured the pieces together with clear masking tape. I simply ran a black pipe-cleaner behind the juice box, between the box and the plastic-covered straw, to create the robot's arms. I secured the arms to the front of the robot's body with a felt heart-sticker, and then glued googly eyes on the fruit cup. This would be a sweet surprise for your kiddo's school lunch box on Valentine's Day!

3. "You're My Main Squeeze" Valentines



Not only are these Valentines creative, but they are nutritious and beyond easy to put together. Having a 5-year-old and a 1-year-old, disposable fruit and veggie pouches have become a staple in our home. Our kids have at least a couple packs a day. For this Valentine idea, you can either have your kids make their own "You're My Main Squeeze" tag to place over a disposable fruit/veggie pouch, or let GoGo Squeez do the work for you. I picked up a few cases of GoGo Squeeze fruit/veggie, applesauce, and yogurt pouches at Target, because they already had the word "Squeez" on it. Then, I printed off the Valentine covers that our kids could color themselves, from the GoGo Squeez website. This is a great way for your kids to include a nutritious snack with a fun Valentine for their friends!

4. Read a Book About Love to Your Child's Class



Whenever I show up in our kindergartner's classroom, her face lights up, and she LOVES the special attention. Reading a book to your child's class doesn't cost a dime, and will have your kiddo feeling super special... Especially on Valentine's Day. Here are a few of our favorite children's books about "love"...

Love Monster
What I Love About You
I Love You Already
Pete the Cat's Groovy Guide to Love
Foxy in Love
Little Critter: Just a Little Love


1 comment: