Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Shopping lifesaver.

This photo is one-in-a-million. On a "normal" shopping trip,
there's blood, sweat, and tears. Oh joy!
I never realized how good I had it at home in Minnesota, when I could simply get in my car and drive to the supermarket. I would throw (not literally speaking) the baby in her car seat, head to Target, and buy everything I needed for the house, groceries, beauty products, and even some clothes, all in one trip. Filling my SUV to it's maximum capacity with brown and plastic bags, is something I never thought I'd miss. But I do. I really do.

Now days, my shopping trips consist of me, the baby, and a grocery bag on wheels. I have the daily challenge of trying to wrangle my busy toddler, while trying to get everything on my grocery list, while filling and pulling an eleven-gallon shopping bag on and off the city bus, all while trying not to look like a COMPLETE hot mess in the 95-degree/85-percent humidity weather in Singapore weather. And I do this 2-3 times a week.

I miss my air-conditioned Tahoe.

Yesterday, while our children were destroying/enjoying our Singapore apartment, my friend Steph completely changed my life by introducing me to Redmart. It's an online shopping site and delivery service for household products and groceries in Singapore. What's that you say?! I can pay the same amount that I would spend at Giant, and have EVERYTHING delivered to my home for FREE (orders over $75)?! And this includes beer/wine?!

Yes please.

I signed up for Redmart, took about a half-hour to do my entire weekly grocery shopping, all in the comfort of my air-conditioned living room. This service doesn't include things like fresh fruits and vegetables, poultry, cheese, etc., but I can get all of those things during a quick once-a-week grocery-shopping trip. Plus, I like to personally select the my fresh produce. It's things like a huge pack of paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, pre-packaged snacks, scotch tape, etc. that I don't want to make multiple trips to the store to get. I am currently waiting in my air-conditioned apartment, playing with my daughter (well I will be once I'm finished writing this blog post) instead of chasing her around a busy supermarket, while waiting for my Redmart delivery this morning. Hallelujah!

Thank you Steph for introducing me to a whole new world of housewife happiness. Maybe the next time you see me on the bus, I will actually be sweating less, have a smile on my face, and not look like I just walked out of a grueling workout at the gym. Baby steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment