Friday, October 28, 2011

Linna helps make her first pie.

Tonight, we're going to a friend's house for dinner, so I decided to make an apple-cranberry pie.  Linna loves being in the kitchen with me when I cook, so this baking experience was no exception.  I got this recipe from one of my mom's co-workers, after she made this pie for a pie contest that I happened to judge. It's so yummy, and made with fresh cranberries and apples from the apple orchard!  The recipe is below.  I hope it tastes as good as it smells!
My little helper! Baking is exhausting!


Crust:

2 1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup shortening
1 tsp. salt
8-10 TBSP cold water

Mix flour, salt and shortening together with a fork until the mixture forms into pieces the size of peas. Then, add water little by little until the dough becomes moist. Form dough into two balls and roll each out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll one of the layers around the rolling pin and lay into your pie pan. The second layer will cover the pie once you put the filling in (see below). Pinch the edges, and cut a couple slits on the top to vent.

Filling:

2 cups sugar
1/4 orange juice
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1/4 tsp lemon juice
4 cups sliced and peeled apples (I didn't peel mine)
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2 TBSP butter

Mix first seven ingredients into a bowl.  Add apples and cranberries and toss. Pour mixture into the top of the pie crust. Drizzle with the butter. Then, cover the filling with the second layer of dough.

Finished product. A little rough looking, but smells good!
Bake the pie at 425-degrees for 10 minutes, and 350-degrees for 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment