Monday, December 10, 2012

Healthy green eggs my one-year-old loves.

Linna with her Green Eggs.

Think of it as a dish from Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs & Ham... without the ham. These eggs might look moldy, but they're actually packed with spinach, quinoa, and a little Parmesan cheese! If you use your imagination, I'm sure you could think of a lot of other nutritious foods you could hide in this dish.

Over the last few weeks, I've realized how big of an alliance I have with eggs, when it comes to getting my daughter to eat nutritious foods. I started my "love affair" with eggs a couple weeks ago, when I made my daughter an impromptu Quinoa & Legume Egg-Cake. I was trying to get her to eat healthier after a 19-hour plane ride, where a LOT of junk food was consumed. I realized you can really "hide" anything inside eggs, especially healthy and nutritious foods that kids won't necessarily eat on their own.

My Green Egg-Cake.

My Green Egg-Cakes are simply an egg (I feed Linna cage-free, organic eggs whenever possible), about a half cup of fresh spinach finely chopped (the more you chop, the less likely your little one is to find the stringy spinach in the eggs), about a quarter cup cooked quinoa, and a little Parmesan cheese. Throw it on a warm pan, cook it like a pancake, and serve! When my 16-month-old sat down for lunch, I cut this up and told her it was eggs. She gobbled it up like it was a plain scrambled egg (she loves eggs)! I was a little nervous since the eggs did turn green from the spinach, but she didn't even think twice about eating it. I made about a half cup of quinoa, so I saved the other half (only takes about a quarter cup for one Green Egg-Cake) with a half cup of chopped spinach and a little Parmesan cheese in the refrigerator, so tomorrow's lunch is as easy as mixing an egg with it. Easy-peezy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe! I just tried it with my son Jude and he loved it! It took little convincing for the first bite but after that he ate the whole cake!

    ReplyDelete