Tuesday, September 20, 2016

DIY with mama saigh: Fall home-decor.

Fall is my favorite time of year. The air is crisp, but the weather is still warm during the day, and chilly at night. It's the season that Papa Saigh and I were married (swoon!).

Fall simply screams "cozy"... And boots!

Right after Labor Day weekend, I pull out the plaid throws, shop for gourds and white pumpkins, and get our front porch ready for this inviting season. Wednesday, I was back on The Jason Show with some DIY fall home-decor ideas, that our family put together this year...



A rocking chair is a staple porch-piece for fall. We found ours at Lowe's for under $100. Drape a warm, plaid,
trow-blanket (IKEA) over the back to add some texture, and surround it with baskets, pumpkins, lanterns (IKEA), and crates (IKEA) filled with burlap and gourds. You can also get a little crafty, by making your own burlap pillow! The DIY burlap pillow isn't a Mama Saigh "original", so I used The SITSgirls tutorial to help me out.

Getting ready to stuff my "thankful" pillow.

I'm also making a "boo" pillow for Halloween. A foam brush comes in handy when filling in your traced, stencil letters.

I cannot keep plants in my planters alive... To save my life (ha!). I'm trying, but so far my attempts have been miserable.
So, this fall, instead of planting actual plants in my urn-style planter, I decided to "go green". This "no-planting planter" adds a modern richness to our porch, in a fail-proof planter that will last throughout the fall. No watering required!

All you need is a great planter (we love our urn-style planter from Lowe's), some sheet moss, styrofoam
balls (Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores has green, as well as white styrofoam balls), scissors, and a glue gun. Simply
wrap each ball in the sheet moss, using the glue gun as an adhesive. The sheet moss is messy, so be prepared for shedding!

And finally, the project that only took me 30 minutes to complete. My fall burlap wreath. I bought everything I
needed for this DIY project from Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts (a wire wreath-form, burlap ribbon, and some pipe cleaners).
I love this black, fall-leaves print on the burlap ribbon I used (bonus, it was 50% off). If my demo on The Jason Show
didn't make sense, check out this "how-to" video". 
Happy fall, ya'll!

3 comments: