Thursday, January 31, 2013

The car-ride nap.

What is it about a quick nap in the car, that makes toddlers think they don't need any more sleep for the rest of the day. EVERY time Linna falls asleep in the car, that's it. That is her nap for the day. If she falls asleep for five minutes in the car... that's her nap for the day. Even if I carry her into the house while she's sleeping, she wakes up as soon as we walk in the door, and she's up for the rest of the day.

This. Drives. Me. CRAZY.

Yes, they look so incredibly peaceful when they're all snuggled up and dozing off in their car seat... but COME ON! That's all the peace and quiet I get for the entire day?! Today, Linna fell asleep on the way home from the Children's Museum at about 11 a.m., and that quick 20-minute nap was the only nap she will have today. I didn't "fight" today's cat-nap in the car, because she has a cold, and she was obviously exhausted. However, any other day that she starts falling asleep in the car, I start singing songs at the top of my lungs, clap my hands, talk to her about all the cars on the road... ANYTHING to keep her from falling asleep! I give her snacks in the car, toys, etc... ANYTHING to keep her awake!

If she asked me for pop/soda in the car, I'd probably cave, just so she wouldn't fall asleep.

Does your little one do this? Linna is now 17-months old and we've finally gotten her transitioned to one LONG (usually) nap a day. I need this break in the day. However, these quick little car naps are slowly going to drive me up the wall.

At what hour is it considered "appropriate" to have a glass of wine??? 3 p.m.???

5 comments:

  1. My son also does this. I also will sing loudly or talk to him or even poke him to just keep him awake. If they fall asleep for even 1 minute, that is it! And it always seems that he falls asleep at the last stoplight before we get home, because it takes 3 minutes to change to a green arrow! It doesn't help that he is going through a stage right now at 15 months where he thinks he doesn't need any naps. It is driving me up the wall. He also wants to be held all day lately, which is just getting to be a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I wasn't alone:) Isn't it just crazy??? But I guess if I fall asleep for a nice 15 minute cat-nap, that's all I need too. Good luck Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son did the same thing. I would sing made up songs all the time super loud and sometimes open the window to shock him awake! It's very common.

    ReplyDelete