Sunday, March 13, 2011

Prenatal Massage.

Six words: I could get used to this.

This weekend, I booked myself a massage appointment at Juut in Wayzata.  I had a little bit of money left over on a gift card (thanks Stewart) and let's be honest... I needed this!  I read a little bit about the safety of massage on pregnant women, and although there are a few pressure points that massage therapists need to stay away from, prenatal massage has a lot of benefits (stress relief, relaxation, circulation, etc.).  I was just looking for relaxation and help with the circulation in my legs.

The biggest difference between a regular massage and a prenatal massage, is that you're laying on your side during a prenatal massage.  I was a little bummed about this at first.  I even told my massage therapist that I'm comfortable laying on my tummy, but she told me it's not recommended because of the circulation to the baby. I just love being able to hang my head through the little face hole and just let my mind and body float away!  But laying on my side was actually very comfortable.  I'd compare it to laying in bed and having your hubby role over to rub your back (always a welcome surprise).  They propped my top leg up on a big, firm pillow, and just like when you roll from your back to your front during a regular massage, during a prenatal massage you roll from one side to the other side.

This massage was the perfect way for me to let my body relax.  I asked my massage therapist to focus on my legs, but I was bummed when she didn't rub my footsies!  Of all places to ignore, you DO NOT skip over a pregnant woman's feet!  I'm sure there's a reason for it, but part of me wanted to say, "um excuse me ma'am... pay attention my tired little twinkle toes".

I've also decided that prenatal massage should be covered by health insurance.  The more massaged pregnant women there are, the happier this world will be!  I'm looking for recommendations on other prenatal massage locations, so if you know of a good place let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment