Monday, March 18, 2013

Fort canning park.

Linna (19 months) checking out Fort Canning Park.
Just a few blocks away from our temporary serviced apartment in the Clarke Quay area of Singapore, we have discovered a gorgeous jungle-like park. One morning, Linna and I took the stroller to go check it out, and we ended up walking around for a couple hours because there was so much to see.

Gorgeous trees.
Steph with Max and Linna checking out the fish pond.

If you're looking for a park/walk-area that will give you a good work-out, Fort Canning Park is the spot for you! The park is located on a hill, and is actually one of Singapore's most historic landmarks. Although there are numerous flights of what seem like endless stairs for you to get a good work-out on, there's only one way to get the stroller up the hill... and that's to push it up a big, steep slope (amazing butt workout)! My friend Steph and I took our kids (Linna, Max, and Lottie) this past weekend, and while I pushed my 14-pound Maxi-Cosi Mila Stroller up the hill, my body ached just watching her push her heavy double-stroller with two kids in it. I'm sure she got a little bit more of a workout than I did;) I wish I would have grabbed a photo of this scene, but if I would have taken a hand off the stroller, Linna would have had one dangerous and crazy right toward the bottom.


So. Many. Stairs.
When you reach the top of the hill, you're surrounded by lush, tropical greenery, and you literally feel like you're in a rain forest in the city. There's fish ponds for the kids to check out, a spice garden, beautiful flowers, and even an archaeological dig going on! If you decide to leave your stroller at home, you can get a good workout by walking/running up and down the stairs, or by using the workout-type equipment along the trail. I couldn't figure out how to get to the top of the hill with our stroller, so that climb will have to wait for a child-free visit. However, even mid-way up the hill, you can catch beautiful views of churches, and other religious worship sites. If you plan on visiting this FREE site in Singapore, be ready to get your sweat on... because it is tropical and HOT up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment