Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Our will.

It's not something that's "fun", and it's actually kind of morbid, but I now realize how important having a Will is when you have children. Over the last few weeks, I have had to think about my husband and I dying, and who gets guardianship of Linna in that event. Not something I care to picture in my mind, but hey, it's a potential reality, and we want to be prepared in the event something happens to me or my husband.

This week, we finalized our Will. Since we're moving to Singapore for two years, we don't want to leave our family with any unanswered questions in the event of tragedy. Flying all the way to the other side of the globe makes you really consider these things. We each actually have our own Will, in the event something happens to either one of us. We each had to decide, basically, who will speak for us, in case we become incapacitated. Again, not something I like to think about. The thought of Linna growing up without AJ and I around, makes me sick to my stomach, but we want to make sure she's taken care of if something were to happen us. We also had to decide who Linna's guardian(s) would be, and this was such a difficult decision. We had have a sit-down with the person(s) we chose, to make sure that they were comfortable with being Linna's guardian(s), if AJ and I weren't around. Linna is incredibly lucky to have her "Godparents", John and Lisa (AJ's sister and her husband), as her legal guardians.

If it wasn't for my husband, I don't think I would have ever taken the necessary steps to put together a Will. AJ received a recommendation from someone at work, and we decided to go with Stone Law in Plymouth. A "Legal Solution Plan" is part of AJ's work benefits, and according to my mathematically-gifted and financially-responsible husband (thank God one of us is), our Will will cost us $3.35 per pay-period, or $6.70 per month for the year 2013. Not bad considering this would cost us a couple hundred dollars to do on our own. If you're planning to put together a Will (which I think all parents should do), check with your HR department at work to see if a Will or "Estate Planning" is part of your employment benefits. It can't hurt to ask! I have friends who have unfortunately lost a parent, or parents, and there was no Will. The death of a family member is incredibly difficult to deal with in itself, and it just puts added stress on those already suffering, to have to deal with unanswered questions. I'm incredibly thankful for my husband, for making our Will an actual document, instead of something on our "to do" list.

2 comments:

  1. This is so important, good for you for getting it taken care of! I'm an estate planning attorney too, but east metro. Even if someone doesn't have a plan through work to pay for it, if something did happen it would probably still save you money in the long run to go to an attorney (especially for people with children). Of course not to mention the peace of mind of having things planned out for your children in case of tragedy! I think a lot of people think of it as just picking guardians, but there are so many other benefits - deciding what age you children will inherit money, appointing a health care agent and financial power of attorney in case of incapacity, to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many difficult decisions that we had to make, but I feel so relieved that it's all done and in writing:)

    ReplyDelete