Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Healthy snack for parents and little ones.

Some people are self-proclaimed cookie monsters. My husband and I are self-proclaimed chip monsters. If there's a bag of chips in our house, it's gone in a day. We both love the crunchy, salty satisfaction of eating chips, but we don't want Linna learning that eating chips is a regular snack option. Plus, chips make you fat. But they're soooo good, right?!

Washed rainbow kale and regular kale, ready to be baked.

I was telling some of my girlfriends about potato chip obsession, and my friend Kelly (a former vegetarian) asked if we'd ever tried kale chips. I had never even heard of this idea, but I made them, and the recipe is super easy and very healthy.

Baked Kale Chips from Smitten Kitchen:

1 bunch of kale
1 TBSP olive oil
Sea salt to taste

Directions: Pre-heat the oven to 300-degrees. Wash and dry the kale, and remove the center ribs. Break the kale leaves apart, put them in a bowl, and toss them in the olive oil and sea salt. Arrange the leaves on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until crispy.

Baked kale chips. Sooooo yummy!

I gave one to Linna and she looked at it, then broke it apart with her little fingers. I think she thinks they are leaves from a tree. Funny, because if we're outside and she finds an actual leaf, she'll eat it. She hasn't mastered the skill of actually eating the kale chips. But she can make one heck of a mess with them!

AJ and I both give this easy recipe two thumbs up! I don't think I've ever tried cooking or using kale in a recipe, but this one is a keeper! Does your child eat kale chips? If you have any other healthy recipes that works for your kids, we'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment