Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Teething is a b*tch.

For 11 blissful months, we have been "those parents" who haven't had to deal with terrible teething symptoms. Well, yesterday we received a visit from the "karma police", and we finally got a taste of the hell that teething brings.

I always feel guilty when I blog about our good little sleeper, happy baby, etc. We really have been blessed with a "perfect" baby. However, for any of you who have wanted to punch me in the face when I blog about how "great" we have it with Linna, rest assure that we have had 24 hours of teething hell in the Saigh household.

Mom & Dad's bed has turned into Linna's bed.

Linna started getting really whiney a few days ago, and her drooling has become a continuous "wet shirt" issue. Anything she can put in her mouth, she's chewing on it (buttons on her tops, spoons during meal time, pacifiers, etc.). But yesterday, when Linna woke up from her morning nap, the "teething monster" reared its ugly head!

Linna woke up from a nap yesterday after just an hour, and she was SO upset... to the point of almost making herself puke. She was super warm, so I took her temp. It was 102-degrees. Her little nose was running, she was clingy, and she was almost shaking because she was so upset. I gave her some Infant Ibuprofen (the Target brand) and we just rocked in the glider in her room. All she wanted to do was whine and cuddle. It was heartbreaking:(

Linna's pacifier (AKA "Wa") has become her
constant comforting companion.
This morning, Linna woke up at 6 a.m., in the exact same painful shape she was in when she woke up from her nap yesterday. Linna is normally an excellent sleeper (taking two 1 1/2-hour naps a day, and sleeping 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.), so for her to wake up at 6 a.m. was quite a shocker. I gave her Ibuprofen before she went to bed, but I'm sure it just wore off. After I gave her some more Ibuprofen this morning at 6 a.m., I brought her in bed with us and we cuddled. This time, she didn't have a temp, but again, she was really warm. She fell asleep in her diaper after 20 minutes or so of rocking with mama. Thank goodness Auntie Lisa was here, because after Linna woke up again around 7 a.m., Lisa took her in the living room to eat Cheerios and watch cartoons. Linna seemed to like this:)

I'm loving all the cuddles, because Linna is normally a very independent, on-the-go 11-month-old. However, 24 hours of complete cling-on activity, accompanied by persistent whining, can really run its toll. Just thinking about how much pain my baby is in really breaks my heart, and I wish I could just take it all away for her.

Although this teething phase has been an absolute b*tch to deal with, I know that one day Linna will completely out-grow her desire for mommy cuddles, so I'm taking advantage of the situation. Teething is nothing a cocktail or two can't fix... for mommy, of course:)

Linna passed out on Papa this morning, after her
6 a.m. "I hate my teeth" whining session in our bed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. It must be contagious because we are experiencing molar mayhem over here. It is a fresh kind of hell. I feel terrible for her, but I feel even more terrible (and guilty) for how impatient and cranky I am getting. It does take a toll on the mom too. Ellen isn't cuddly either. She is a kicking, punching, pulling mess when she is in pain.

    Like I said, I feel bad for her, but holy crap. I need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete