Monday, June 22, 2015

Waiting to find out baby saigh #2's gender.

Is Baby Saigh #2 a boy or a girl?! Photo taken at
Singapore's Raffles Hotel by Kylie Petts
of WonderLight Photography.
I can't believe I'm actually typing these words, but we are going to WAIT to find out whether Baby Saigh #2 is a boy or a girl. If you know me at all, you know that I am a "type A", impatient, planner. Our first baby's gender was revealed before I was 20 weeks pregnant, her name was decided on as soon as we found out that she was a girl, and her nursery was completely ready to go just a few weeks later. So, why would we wait to find out this baby's gender?!

Well first of all, I use the term "we" very loosely. Both Papa Saigh and I were determined to find out Baby Saigh #2's gender as soon as possible, and I had an ultrasound scheduled for Monday morning (today) so we could do just that. However, this past week, I experienced something that was beyond amazing... Something incredible enough to make me completely change my mind.

Last Thursday, one of my very best friends here in Singapore gave birth to her fourth (yes, FOURTH) baby. This woman (Mama Bryce), has naturally birthed all four of her babies WITHOUT pain medication, and waited to find out the gender of each one until the day they were born. Our daughter, Linna, has become best buddies with the Bryce girls, and all of us eagerly awaited the birth of her fourth baby.

The plan was to have me and another good friend (Mama Petts) in the delivery room when this baby was born. When I found out that Mama Bryce was in labor, I raced to the hospital (her doctor said the baby would probably come really fast), and was greeted by Mama Bryce's husband in the lobby. I asked him a million questions during our ride up to the delivery room, as I was so excited to welcome this baby into the world.

You can imagine how shocked I was to open the delivery room door, only to find Mama Bryce holding her brand new baby in her arms.

An unbelievable wave of emotion came over me, and I broke down into tears of happiness. It didn't even phase me that I had missed the birth. I just couldn't believe that this baby was here! A million questions shot out of my mouth, but my main concern... "What is it?!".

"Well come over here and find out," exclaimed Mama Bryce.

Photo by Kylie Petts of WonderLight Photography. This was the moment I walked into the room.
I wish I would have showered/wore make-up/etc... Story of my life.

Completely emotional.

Holding beautiful Savannah Eliza Bryce, just 20 minutes after she was born.

I quickly washed my hands, wiped my tears, and lifted the baby's blanket to see that Baby Bryce #4 was ANOTHER girl! I felt like I was in a dream, and living a surreal experience.

I can't explain why the birth of Mama Bryce's fourth baby had such a profound impact on me. I was convinced that she was going to have a boy this time around, so maybe the surprise of this baby actually being a girl was a shock to my system. Whatever it was, it was enough to make me want to experience this magical surprise during the birth of Baby Saigh #2.

Again, I use the term "we" very loosely. When I told Papa Saigh my feelings about wanting to wait to find out this baby's gender, he basically said, "Whatever you want". I think he's learned that whatever makes me happy, makes his life easier... and what's a few months anyway, right?!

So, yeah. "We've" decided to wait to find out the gender of Baby Saigh #2. This will be a completely different experience than my pregnancy and birth with Linna. Everyone that we've told has asked, "Do you REALLY think you can wait?!". People know me all too well, and I doubted my self-control too. But I can honestly say that I am happy and confident with this decision to wait this time around. There are so few "happy" surprises left in this world, right?! I can't tell you how excited I am for our little family of three to experience this one together.

Welcome to the world, Savannah Eliza Bryce!

No comments:

Post a Comment