Friday, September 28, 2012

Cute reminder about our minnesota roots.

Even as I'm surrounded by beautiful sunny weather, good new friends, and my wonderful husband and daughter in Singapore, there are times that I really miss home. I miss making a delicious hotdish in my kitchen, sitting around the bonfire in our backyard, and being within a short driving distance of my parents and in-laws. I'll admit that my life in Singapore is absolute paradise, but my roots will always lie in Minnesota.

Last week, an artist named Rebecca Peragine sent me a lovely print, to remind me where "my roots lie". It's a drawing of the state of Minnesota, and all of its counties, with "My Roots Lie Here" written underneath. The print comes with a couple heart stickers that you can place anywhere in Minnesota. We have this print in a frame, hanging above Linna's pack n' play in Singapore. I see this print every day, and I am reminded of all the things waiting for us in Minnesota. It's these thoughts that put a smile on my face:)

Rebecca's company is called Children Inspire Design and she uses recycled materials in each of her designs. Every product in her "One Mother to Another" line is created by the hands of mothers in impoverished areas in Mexico and Haiti. The money they earn through fair trade of these products, offer economic opportunity, and a lesson to their children (especially girls) that women can control their own future. When one of these products is purchased, Children Inspire Design buys two more from them. This gives them the ability to buy food, clothing, and opportunity for their children.

Linna's sleeping area in Singapore.

I hope you'll support this talented artist, and all that she's doing to make our world a little bit better place to live!

1 comment: