Monday, August 27, 2012

Food in singapore.

This is where we've gotten most of our "fast food" so far.

Besides the high prices on food at the grocery store on many items we're used to eating in the US, the food in Singapore is pretty good. AJ and I are trying our best to eat like the locals, but some of the food selections are a bit to "out there" for our tastes. There are so many types of foods to select from here: Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc., and we're beginning to find some of our favorites.

Minced Chicken with Lemon Grass.


Today, Linna and I had some Vietnamese food from a place called The Orange Lantern. This food was DELICIOUS! We ordered the Minced Chicken with Lemon Grass, and the Spring Rolls. Lemon Grass foods are very popular on menus in Singapore. It's a very fresh, lemon, "earthy" taste, and I find that it has similarities to Fruit Loops cereal of all things. Linna and I both LOVED the Minced Chicken with Lemon Grass, as it tasted kind of like the meat inside a gyro, with a hint of Fruit Loops:) The Spring Rolls were very crispy and filled with vegetables, including carrots and mushrooms.

The Indian food that I ordered. Not a fan.

AJ's rice omlet with salmon on top. He liked it. Me, not so much.


Yesterday, AJ and I decided to get lunch at the food court above Vivo City (the mall near our place). The food court is pretty interesting, as they have so many different kinds of food to choose from, all in one place. AJ got an omelet with rice inside, and a piece of salmon on top (I can't remember what it was called). I decided to be adventurous and get Indian food. Back home in Minnesota, I have eaten and enjoyed Indian curry dishes that aren't too spicy. Well, in Singapore, Indian food is VERY spicy. I decided to get this potato curry dish that was wrapped in a crispy bread shell. I can't remember the name, but it was gross. Linna enjoyed the outside of the dish though (it was basically crispy bread). There were two other side dishes that came with it and they were both SO SPICY. I don't think I'll be getting Indian food in Singapore again.

Linna enjoying a butterfly roll.

 
 

Ducks.


No matter what type of food court we go to in Singapore, we see food just sitting out without being heated or cooled. Meats, eggs, vegetables, etc., are all out on display. In the US, this wouldn't happen because of our food prep and storage guidelines, but in Singapore it's completely acceptable. It's quite the site to see! There is also so much FISH on the menu here. From fish balls (I have no idea what this is) to fish soup, fish is a very popular dish in Singapore, but not a "flavor" I'm really into. One day while AJ was out with his new co-workers, they got him to eat a chicken foot. After he ate it, one of his co-workers told him that she's never even tried that before, and that AJ is slowly becoming Chinese;) AJ won't be eating chicken feet again anytime soon!

Soya Milk.

Chocolate Singapore Pancake.

Linna gives the pancakes here two baby thumbs up!


Linna and I also got to try a soya milk from Mr. Bean, along with a chocolate Singapore pancake. The soya milk was pretty good, but very rich. Linna and I both liked it, as it tasted like coconut. I ordered it, thinking there was coffee in it (boy was I wrong). The Singapore pancake is very different from the pancakes we're used to eating in Minnesota. In Singapore, it's more like a muffin or cake, with filling inside. They were ok, but kind of bland tasting. Linna enjoyed the chocolate!

My favorite, handmade dumplings on the left. Chicken and fried rice on the right.

Fresh juices.


Two of my favorite things that we've eaten at the food court or Food Republic, are the fresh-squeezed juices and the handmade dumplings. The fresh-squeezed juice (I ordered carrot, apple, and orange) reminds me of the juice stands in NYC. I used to order a juice every morning on my way to work! The handmade dumplings are steamed with pork, spices and chives inside. They are spectacular! Also, food that is sold as a meal in Singapore is called a "set", instead of a "meal" as we would say in Minnesota.

I LOVE this lychee drink, but at 220 calories per
bottle, this was a one-time treat.

The apple juice at the grocery store has aloe vera in
it. Maybe it's for the people who have sun-burn on the inside?!


Singapore also has fast-food places that we're used to seeing in Minnesota. AJ has been to Subway, and I actually got us KFC one night (we needed an "American fix"). Places like KFC and Pizza Hut have different versions of the foods we're used to seeing in Minnesota. Pizza Hut has baked rice dishes like Curry Zazzle and the Chili Crab Baked Rice, as well as pizzas like Curry Chicken and Ocean Catch. Although we only got chicken tenders and french fries at KFC, I saw that they have Shrimp Stars (fried shrimp in the shape of stars). There's so many different things here, that you don't see on the fast-food menus in Minnesota. Who knows, maybe one day right?!

Fish Donuts from KFC anyone?!


We have yet to venture into the city farther, to explore the markets and outdoor food stands. There's still a lot of time left to enjoy all of the tasty treats in Singapore! I think Linna is enjoying these new foods, just as much as we are:)

1 comment:

  1. FISH DONUTS. That reminds me of the chicken rings at White Castle. Food looks interesting. I want that chocolate thing...in my mouth... right now. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete