Thursday, August 23, 2012

Our daily routine in singapore.

Our morning coffee.
In Minnesota, we're used to putting Linna to bed around 7 or 8pm, while my husband and I stay up until 10 or 11pm. All of us normally get up around 7:30 or 8am. Not in Singapore! For the last few days, we've all been going to bed around 7pm, and get up at 5:30am. This is mainly because of Linna (she hasn't been sleeping well here), but it's also because there's not much we can do at night. We get like nine channels that are mainly Asian channels, but they also have an American channel that plays reruns of shows like The Chew, The X Factor, The Doctors, Doctor Oz, etc. Yes I am upset that they don't play any of my trashy reality TV shows like the Real Housewives, AND we can't get them to play online.

Also, is so much cooler here in the early morning. Linna and I walk the Keppel Bay Bridge/Plaza, which has gorgeous views of the sea. We like to watch the Asian men and women who stand on the edge of the bay, and do this stretching, yoga, meditation kind of thing. I'm not exactly sure what they're doing, but it looks interesting! AJ started going to the gym in the morning too, since he doesn't have to be to work until 9am (he usually goes in at 8am in the US). I make breakfast for the three of us, which usually consists of eggs on toast, coffee, and fruit for Linna. We're drinking instant coffee because we have a hot water maker instead of a coffee machine (I like it, but AJ isn't a fan). We've started buying the "local" brands of food because the Western food brands are literally triple or quadruple the price as they'd be in Minnesota (more on food and prices later).

Princess Linna prefers mom's bed over the pack n' play. Can't say I blame her.


The Asian women doing their morning exercises/meditations on the plaza.

This is a photo of the Keppel Bay Bridge and Plaza, where Linna
and I walk as the sun rises each morning.


Once we're done with our breakfast, walk, and workout, Linna takes a quick nap while we shower and get ready. Once AJ heads to work, Linna and I go explore or hang out by the pool. We're discovering a lot of new and delicious foods, such as handmade dumplings that I found at the Food Republic (a huge food court with all different types of Asain foods). Linna is stared at all the time, and people love to talk to her. She talks right back, as she loves saying "hiiiiii" to everyone! Today, we stopped at the playground on our property, and Linna met a little girl name Virginia. I had an embarrassing moment trying to learn the little girls name, as her mother obviously didn't speak English when I asked what her daughter's name was. She said, what sounded to me like, "Vah-hair-gin-e-ah". I thought it was some kind of traditional Asian name, so I tried sounding it out. When I finally figured out she was saying "Virginia", I felt like such an idiot. The woman just had a thick accent:)



Linna meets Virginia at the playground.

One morning while we were out, these kids were singing, so we stopped and
listened. They then started to sing in Chinese to Linna.


After Linna's afternoon nap, we'll either go out again, or hang out by the pool. We haven't gone outside of a walking distance from our apartment yet. I'm waiting to do more "adventurous" exploring around the city this weekend when AJ is with me:)

Of course Linna found a swing/hammock at the playground.


For dinner, we usually eat the leftover food from what we had for lunch, since portions are pretty good-sized here. Last night I brought home some bread treats from the bakery and they were delicious! Tonight we're going out to eat with the woman who AJ is replacing at his Singapore office (she is going on maternity leave) and her husband. She is this tiny Asian woman named Dolly (I am in LOVE with her name) who looks like she swallowed a basketball. She could not be any cuter! She actually got AJ to eat a chicken foot the other day at lunch. He was not impressed.

Morning Skype session with MeMaw and PeePaw in Mankato, MN.


I'm so used to having a lot of help with Linna back home, but in Singapore it's just me and her, since AJ works pretty late. I'm having so much fun watching her learn, see and try new things, but I'm pretty worn out once 7pm rolls around. We usually Skype with our families during our mornings and Minnesota's nights. We leave our computers on, so when we Skype each other around 7am our time, and 8pm their time, the computers ring like phones. Linna can totally recognize who she is seeing on the computer when we Skype. She likes to clap and point at the person on the other end.

Linna on the Keppel Bay Plaza.


I got AJ and I Blackberrys today with SIM cards, so we can at least get a hold of each other during the day. International plans on our iPhones were SO expensive, so this works just fine here. It's amazing how much more I actually "live in the moment" without having Facebook, email, Twitter, etc. on my iPhone distracting me. I do miss taking photos with my iPhone and uploading them right away onto Facebook and Twitter.

This man loved Linna and kept telling her to try the new foods.

Hanging out by the pool.

Trying a Butterfly Roll at the Food Republic this
morning. I sure hope it's not made out of real butterflies:(


Well, I am off to take a nap while Linna

1 comment:

  1. I bet those people are doing Tai Chi! It's so good for you--I would try to join them if you can. I think usually it's just a community practice and free. . . It is like yoga. Super calming and good for your energy and health overall. Also I think fish balls are like crab cakes/meatballs a little bit. (I have friends from Singapore.)I'm sure it's a big adjustment, but you're doing great! I'm jealous you get to eat all that awesome Asian food. (Are those food signs actual American dollars? Do they use the dollar? (PS You don't hvae a way to log in to your comments with name/ID, so this is my Google account...it's Katie from MNMO!)

    ReplyDelete